Wednesday, February 21, 2007



I spent the afternoon with Otis H. today and met his spouse, Wynella, and two children (Tanya and Tori). I ate well at their home (smoked turkey and fresh blackeyed peas) and heard from Otis regarding the status of homes in Moss Point, concerns that I had regarding Community of Christ and scripture(which resulted in some relief for me), some of the needs of people in the neighborhood (for whom hurricane relief and rebuilding is really just part of the picture- this becomes clearer all the time (see previous post). I still would like to see the house repairs and rebuilds done- yesterday.
Otis and Wynella pointed out that the water in their neighborhood is not safe to drink and ruins clothes in washers. People there have to buy water. Some can afford to do that, many can't. In the middle picture you see a building that Otis and his group are thinking of buying. In the top picture he is speaking with a man who lives across the street from that building. I enjoyed hearing from George and hearing him and Otis talk about some of the needs of those in the neighborhood.
Moss Point Community of Christ is using space in an old glove factory/warehouse for their meetings and worship. I joined them tonight for prayer and scripture. I then zipped back to Bethel for the last 20 minutes of Ash Wednesday worship. I got there in time for Communion, during which Sam R. led "The Old Rugged Cross" on his guitar. I am planning to see him and Evelyn on Sunday afternoon. I also plan to have dinner out with Marie M. when I return from New Orleans on Saturday. There should be many more pictures to share tomorrow.

No comments: