Monday, February 19, 2007

I drove through Pass Christian MS this afternoon and I was pretty sure that I had seen the buildings pictured above while driving through last summer.
I got to my motel in Kenner LA just after midnight, and it was chillier than I had expected. I had not been following the weather closely before I left- but on the Gulf Coast it has been into the twenties overnight. This evening I am told that many who are living in FEMA trailers (Donna T. of Bethel suggests strongly that we call the units 'FEMA campers') cannot afford the large amounts of propane required to stay warm when the temperature gets that low . The weather seems to have turned today and should be warmer tomorrow. Odd- the emphasis in the paper and on the radio in New Orleans was on the weather's impact on Mardi Gras revelers.
There are Mardi Gras parades in Mississippi, too, one of which (in Pass Christian yesterday) drew an estimated 30,000 people. I saw signs for the parade route while driving around Pass Christian earlier today- beads, a mask poster, garbage left over. What a thing it would be to see so many people in that quiet place.

I'm guessing that some of the people on the parade route, maybe people in the parade as well, are living in FEMA units. I'm trying to avoid Mardi Gras by coming to Mississippi today rather than staying in New Orleans right away, since the shutdown of businesses and streets would get in the way of some of the things I want to do. At the moment I'd mostly to hear from someone what it's like to come out for a Mardi Gras parade when it's unseasonably cold, and then to return to a camper unit which may not hold heat too well even if one can afford the gas.

No comments: