Tuesday, February 20, 2007




I met with Bill this morning. The building in the picture at top (not changed much since July of last year) will come down sometime this summer. We discussed that situation, Biloxi and the coast in general, Bill's time serving on lightships more than 60 years ago, and many other things. The paintings on the wall behind him in the third picture were painted on pieces of salvaged Jack Daniels barrels. I asked him what species of fish he has carved and painted. He calls them "Piscesonia Johnsonianis," suggesting that I not worry too much about the species
as long as I recognize a fish when I see one.
I took some pictures of his artwork to pass along (with his blessing) to a couple of galleries that have been suggested to me by acquaintances in Seattle. I don't know what will come of that. I am just thankful to see him again. I left about 1/2 hour before a Biloxi Mardi Gras parade was to start, and it took a while to find a way around the barricades and parade route. I've just about successfully dodged Mardi Gras. Just a few hours to go.
I didn't take pictures of my other visit today. It would not have felt right. We talk at Bethel about 'the face of God' as we go about working. Jesus says that we will see him whenever we see someone weak, sick, in prison, etc. I sat for two hours today with two people who are weak, sick, and whose home (repaired pretty quickly after Katrina) is more of a prison these days. They apologized for not having anything to offer me (in the way of food, I imagine). They gave me a lot, though. They not only told me the story of how their cat (whom they had to leave in the house when Katrina came through) had moved into their home (along with four kittens) about seven years ago. They also told me in detail about a number of challenges and issues that are really out of their control and out of my power to fix. We spent some time in a humble place telling the truth about that. It is a gift, and it is what brings me here.
Tomorrow I will meet with Otis H. and people in Moss Point, as well as seeing Bill again to drop off copies of the pictures of artwork. Ash Wednesday either in Moss Point or at Bethel, Thursday in New Orleans.

No comments: